Spoiled for choice
When you drive cross country from Schwetzingen towards Speyer, you’ll already see it looming from a distance: the majestic cathedral with its four towers. “Do de Dom,” (There it is: our cathedral) wrote the poet Michael Bauer in the Palz dialect a few decades ago in a charming paean to his hometown. Speyer has in fact always been practically synonymous with its cathedral, couched in green grounds and towering majestically above the terraced banks of the Rhine.
However, at the risk of sounding like heretics, we would venture to point out that Speyer has much more to offer than just its most famous attraction. Yes, the cathedral is very impressive and, yes, you have to see it! But Speyer, arguably the most beautiful gate to the Palatinate region, with a population of nearly 50,000 living in a relatively small area, has so many other interesting things to see that not only art-lovers and history buffs will be delighted.
Are you traveling with your family? Alone, as a couple? Des is worscht as the Palatine would say – it doesn’t matter one bit! In Speyer, everyone will find something to suit their taste: the Historical Museum (with wonderful regular exhibitions designed especially for children and young people); the Judenhof, or Jewish courtyard, which was reconceived as an archeological center at the end of the 20th century; the Alte Münz, or Old Mint; the Technology Museum Speyer with IMAX cinema; and, not far away is the Sealife Speyer. North of the city, the Binsfeld recreational area attracts visitors especially in the summer season. Not to mention the popular folk festivals known far beyond Speyer’s borders, such as the Pretzel Festival and the Old Town Festival.
As you can see, Speyer really is much more than just a cathedral! And thanks to the lovely Old Town with its winding alleyways, attractive shops, and a host of charming pubs, restaurants and beer gardens, a trip here would be worthwhile even without all of the above – if only to drink in the enchanting atmosphere and the congenial Palatine way of life, which you can feel here on every corner.
So if you’re not afraid of being faced with a plethora of equally appealing choices, this is the place for you. Whatever you’re looking for art, culture, fine dining, nature, spectacle: Speyer’s got it!
- the Cathedral Crypt, a gravesite of German emperors, kings and queens.
- The old City Hall, which was build in 1712 and 1726 in a late Baroque style.
- Jewish Heritage and Stone witnesses from the past (1084 und 1349) , the ruines of the Synagogue, the Ritual Bath, ...
- Or a nice relaxing walk along Maximilian street from the cathedral to the old city gate from 1230. With 88 feet, it is the most significant city gate in Germany.
Neben dem Dom und den vielen anderen geschichtsträchtigen Sehenswürdigkeiten werden hier auch Technikfreunde auf Ihre Kosten kommen. In Speyer gibt es eines der tollsten Technik Museen Deutschlands!
Das Technik Museum Speyer lässt die Herzen aller Technikfans höherschlagen!
Hier dürfen Technikfans vieles bewundern:
- over 60 Airplanes, a real Boing 747,a real Space Shuttle and Space exhibition
- a Rescue cruiser and a World War 2 U-Boat U19
- more than a 150 Oldtimer Cars and a Europes largest Fire truck exhibition
- old train, locomotives, steam and other engines and much more
Some events in Speyer you may like to join:
- 3rd Jun 2013 - 31st Dec 2019 Exhibition: A piece of the moon in the Technical Museum Speyer
- 7th Oct 2016 - 10th Sep 2017 Exhibition: 100 Years of BMW in the Technical Museum Speyer
- 2nd Oct 2016 - 23rd April 2017 Exhibition: THE MAYA's in the Museum Pfalz Speyer
- 17th Sep 2017 - 15th Apr 2018 Exhibition: Richard the Lionheart - King - Knight - Prisoner in the Museum Pfalz Speyer
- All year long, Saturday & Sunday from 11:00 - 13:00 a guidet walk thru Speyer - Experience Speyer's rich and tubulence past during a guidet tour.
- All year long a guidet Speyer Night Toure
- 31st Mar - 17th Apr 2017 Spring Festival SpeyerCarnival with roller coaster and other rides - Lot's of fun for everybody
- 1st - 4th Apr 2017 Platinate wine tasting at the Speyer cathedral
- 21st - 23rd Apr 2017 Medieval Festival Speyer
- 29th Jun - 2nd July Music Festival Felix Mendelson
- 13th - 15th May 2017 Brazzeldays in Speyer- Lots of action, burning wheels and loud engines in Speyer
- 6th - 11th Jul 2017 Pretzel fest - Party time in Speyer
- 11th - 13th Aug 2017 The Kings table in Speyer - in the historical old town, live music, good food, lots of fun, anf much more - it is timeto party
- 25th - 27th Aug. 2017 Midievel Phantasies Spectaculum
- 8th - 9th Sep 2017 Old City Fest in the romantic corners of the old town of Speyer.
- 16th Sep - 17th Sep. 2017 Farmers Market
- 20th - 31st Oct 2016 Fall Festival Speyer - Carnival with roller coaster and other rides - Lot's of fun for everybody
- 27th Nov 2017 - 7th Jan 2018 Christmas Market & New Year Market in Speyer
We did our best to research these highlights and events. We cannot take responsibility for their accuracy. So please check www.speyer.de for the correct dates.
You can book the following hotel rooms, suites and apartments for your stay in Speyer:
single rooms - double rooms - suites - studio 40 - studio 70 - 2-room apartment - THE LOFT / maisonette