A princely backdrop for total enjoyment
“Until St. John’s Day – don’t forget – eat white gold / white asparagus for seven weeks!” Schwetzingen is famed for its delicious asparagus. When the vegetable is in season, from April to June 24th, the entire royal residence town is caught up in asparagus fever, whether at the weekly market, the many enticing restaurants, or the Schwetzingen Asparagus Festival, held before the magnificent backdrop of the palace. But beyond the proverbial royal delicacy, Schwetzingen also has plenty of other attractions to offer year round – for at least three reasons:
First of all: the music! There’s one event after the other here: the Palace Music Festival, the Mozart Festival, the Winter in Schwetzingen Festival, just to name three especially well-known occasions. Fans of other music styles will also find what they’re looking for, at the Schwetzingen Jazz Festival, for example, or at Open Air in the Park. Which brings us to reason number two: the park / the Palace Gardens. We have to admit that a visit to the royal park is worthwhile even if you choose to skip the palace, because the extensive Baroque French gardens laid out in geometric patterns, together with the wilder English landscape garden, are enchanting any time of year and in any weather. The third reason is of course the regal palace itself, the summer and hunting residence of Prince Electors Karl Philipp and Karl Theodor (and mentioned for the first time in 1350 as a moated castle), which moreover provides a splendid setting for the countless concerts that take place in the town.
If you ask us, these are plenty of good reasons to pay a visit to Schwetzingen. And people here have long since forgiven UNESCO for not naming the palace a World Heritage Site (they evidently had too many Baroque palaces already!). If you have a hard time deciding which of the numerous events on Schwetzingen’s chock-full cultural calendar to attend, you’ll just have to come back again another time. Because anytime is a good time to visit Schwetzingen, especially if it just happens to be asparagus season ...
Enjoy and experience culinary and musical delights in Schwetzingen!
Klassik - Jazz - Rock & Pop - Maybe you would like to join some of these events in Schwetzingen:
- from Jan - April LIVE MUSIC in Schwetzingen - every Fridays night starting @ 21:00 LIVE MUSIK in the Pub Grünen Baum
- Apr - Jun - The White Gold - Asparagus season in Schwetzingen
- Apr - Jun - Schwetzingen Asparagus run - Half Marathon
- Apr - May - Classical Music Festival - Schwetzinger SWR Festspiele
- May - Asparagus Party at the Schwetzingen Palace Square
- Jul - Fireworks and Live Music in the romantic Palace gardens of Schwetzingen
- Aug - Music in the Park - Music / Rock Festival in the Palace gardens
- Sep - Concours d‘ Elégance – Classic Oldtimer Gala
- Sep - Oct - Schwetzingen Mozart Festival in the Rokoko Theater and in the Palace
- Oct - Jazz Festival Schwetzingen
- Nov. - Jan - Barock Festival: Winter in Schwetzingen
- From Oct - Dez - LIVE MUSIC in Schwetzingen - every Fridays nightstarting @ 21:00 LIVE MUSIK in the Pub Grünen Baum
We did our best to research these highligts and events. We cannot take responsibility for their accuracy. So please for check www.schwetzingen.de for the correct dates.
You can book the following hotel rooms, suites and apartments for your stay in Schwetzingen:
studio 40 - studio 70 - 2-room apartment - THE LOFT / maisonette